(c.1734, NR) 124 Granite Street. Early Georgian-style. The home of Dr. Joshua Babcock, Westerly's first physician, postmaster and friend of Benjamin Franklin, who was a frequent visitor. Later owned by Orlando Smith, who in 1846 discovered granite on the property which later became one of the country's leading granite centers. OPEN: May-Jun, Sun, 2-5 p.m.; Jul-Aug, Wed & Sun, 2-5 p.m.; Sep-Oct, Sun, 2-5 p.m. and by appt. 596-5704.
FLYING HORSE CAROUSEL
(NR) Bay Street, Watch Hill. Oldest in America, used prior to 1879. The 20 horses are not attached to the floor but instead are suspended from a center frame, swinging out or flying when in motion. Each horse is hand carved from a single piece of wood and is embellished with real tails and manes, leather saddles and agate eyes. The only flying horse carousel surviving in the country. It was brought to Watch Hill in 1883. OPEN: Jun 15-Labor Day, 1-9 p.m. (children only). 789-4422.
Bay Street, Watch Hill. Sculpted by Enid Yandell in Paris in 1914. Ninigret was Chief of Rhode Island's branch of the Niantics and first appeared in Colonial history in 1637. Indian model for statue was with Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show in Paris. 348-5089.
WATCH HILL LIGHTHOUSE KEEPERS ASSOCIATION
(1858) 14 Lighthouse Road, Watch Hill. The present white brick structure with granite tower is situated on the north side of the east entrance to Fisher's Island Sound. Exterior viewing only. OPEN: Watch Hill Lighthouse Museum, Jul-Aug; Tue & Thu, 1-3 p.m. 789-4422
(1986) 330 Atlantic Avenue. Six giant waterslides; 4 serpentine slides including kiddies slide, 2 speed slides at approx. 45 degree angle. Across from Misquamicut Beach. OPEN: Memorial Day-Labor Day. Weekends only until Jun 15th. Daily, 10-6:30 p.m. 322-0520.
(1898, NR, #) (H-4) 71 1/2 High Street. A historic park originally designed by Warren Manning with specimen trees, shrubs and display flower beds on 18-acres. Also a koi pond, dwarf conifer collection, fountain, monuments, daylily collection and perennial borders. Easy access from Merchants Parking area. OPEN: Year-round, Dawn-11 p.m. 596-8590.