CHARLES R. CARR COLLECTION (1887, NR)
530 Main Street. Located in the George Hail Library. Pre-Columbian, Peruvian and North American Indian artifacts. Items include utensils, farming and fishing implements, glass beads and wampum (Indian currency). OPEN: Wed, 2-4 p.m. and by appt. 245-7686.
FIREMEN'S MUSEUM (NR) (H-1)
42 Baker Street. Housed in the old Narragansett Steam Fire Company Station Number 3. The early Victorian building houses, among its fire department memorabilia, the Little Hero, the town's first fire engine purchased in 1802. OPEN: By appt. only. 245-7600.
FIRST UNITED METHODIST CHURCH OF WARREN AND BRISTOL. (NR) (H)
25 Church Street. Established in 1789, this is the first Methodist church in the state. Tri-level Georgian spire rises 160 feet. Sailors use the light situated from top of spire as a navigation marker when they enter Narragansett Bay. OPEN: By appt. 245-8474.
MASONIC TEMPLE (NR)
Baker Street. Oldest Masonic Temple in New England. In the 19th century, ground floor was used for town offices and the Warren Academy. Among architectural distinctions are twin doorways and elaborate Federal period carpentry, using timbers from Revolutionary War British frigates sunk in Newport Harbor. OPEN: By appt. 245-7652.
MAXWELL HOUSE (1755, NR, #)
Corner of Church and Water Streets. A 2 1/2 story, brick, Colonial-gable house, built by the Rev. Samuel Maxwell and the home of James and Level Maxwell, prominent ship owners and merchants. The house, under restoration, features a massive central chimney with two beehive bake ovens. Fireplace and bake oven cooking, candle dipping, other 18th century crafts periodically demonstrated. OPEN: Jun-Aug, first Fri, 5-8 p.m.; and by appt. Call for special seasonal events. 245-7930.
ST. MARK'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH (1830, NR)
Lyndon Street Designed by Russell Warren, architect of Providence Arcade and DeWolf residences in Bristol. Distinguished by massive Ionic columns and canted enframements of the double doors. Rectory (c.1751), final residence of Rhode Island's last Colonial governor, Josias Lyndon. Parish House (c.1860). All three on National Register of Historic Buildings. Thrift shop every Wed from 10-2 p.m. in the Parish House, except in July & August. OPEN: By appt., Sun, 7:30-11 a.m. 245-3161.
WARREN BAPTIST CHURCH (1844, NR) (H, H-2)
Main and Miller Streets. Russell Warren, architect. Replaces earlier structure, burned in 1778, during a British-Hessian raid. Tower bell recast from original Paul Revere. Rhode Island College, now Brown University, was established in the earlier Baptist Meeting House, 1764. OPEN: By appt. only. 245-3669, 245-6130.
WARREN TOWN HALL. (NR) (H, H-5)
514 Main Street. Designed by William R. Walker and Son of Providence. OPEN: Mon-Fri, 9-4 p.m. 245-7340.