ACTIVITIES OF THE NARRAGANSETT PLANTERS
238 Robinson Street, Wakefield Post Office. Mural done in 1939 by famed Time Magazine cover artist Ernest Hamlin Baker. OPEN: Mon-Fri, 6:45-5:45 p.m.; Sat, 6:45-3:45 p.m. 783-2691.
FAYERWEATHER CRAFT CENTER (1820)
Mooresfield Road, (Route 138). Kingston home of the village blacksmith George Fayerweather, a black whose descendants lived here and continued working the blacksmith shop. Now occupied by the Fayerweather Craft Guild. Weekly demonstrations of crafts during summer. Craftwork gifts available. Classes in the summer. House restored by the Kingston Improvement Association. OPEN: Mid May-mid Dec; Tue, Thu & Sat, 10-4 p.m.; Workshops: Jul & Aug 789-9072.
Great Neck Road, off Route 138. An obelisk marks the location of the Great Swamp Fight which took place December 19, 1675, during King Philip's War and resulted in the near annihilation of the Narragansett Indians. OPEN: Mon-Fri, 8:30-4 p.m. 789-0281.
HANNAH ROBINSON'S ROCK
Adjacent to Observation Tower. Intersection of Route 138 & U.S. Route 1. Hannah Robinson's Rock, also known as the Sad Rock, the Crying Rock and the Meditation Rock, where supposedly the poor girl went to sit and cry, is located directly under the tower. The Rock and Tower offer one of the most spectacular views on the Atlantic Coast.
HELME HOUSE GALLERY (NR)
2587 Kingstown Road, near to URI entrance. One of many attractive historic houses in the area. Home of South County Art Association, 400-membership of artists and students. Pottery workshop; classes in watercolor, oils, pastels, drawing, pottery and sculpture. OPEN: Wed-Sun, 1-5 p.m.(during shows). 789-2195.
KINGSTON VILLAGE (NR)
Founded in 1723, the village retains the charm of the 18th century and provides a picturesque entrance to the University of Rhode Island along Route 138. 783-9331.
MUSEUM OF PRIMITIVE ART AND CULTURE (1892, NR, #)
1058 Kingstown Road. Upstairs, next door to Post Office. An archaeological and ethnological collection of American Indian, South Seas, African and other areas' weapons, tools, implements and utensils. OPEN: Labor Day-Memorial Day, Tue-Thu, 11-2 p.m.; Summers, Wed, 11-2 p.m. Other days by appt. Closed holidays. 783-5711.
PERRYVILLE TROUT HATCHERY (#)
2426 Post Road. Hatchery raises trout for Rhode Island streams and ponds. OPEN: Mon-Fri, 9-3 p.m.; Closed Sat-Sun and holidays. 783-5358.
PETTAQUAMSCUTT HISTORICAL SOCIETY OLD WASHINGTON COUNTY JAIL (1792; rebuilt Cell Block, 1858)
2636 Kingstown Road, Kingston. Pettaquamscutt Historical Society Headquarters. Building contains old jail cells and period rooms. Changing exhibits depict life in South County during last 300 years. Geneological and historical library. OPEN: Tue, Thu, Sat, l-4 p.m. Closed Nov-Apr and holidays. Group tours by appt. 783-1328.
ROCKS, MINERALS, FOSSILS COLLECTION (H)
University of Rhode Island, Kingston Campus. The Department of Geology has a small collection of rocks, minerals and fossils found in Rhode Island and elsewhere. Display is on the first floor of Green Hall. OPEN: Mon-Fri, 8:30-4:30 p.m. 874-2265.
THEATRE BY THE SEA. (NR) (H)
364 Cards Pond Road. Summer Theater with gardens from May 28 to Sep 15. OPEN: Tues-Sun evening, Matinee Thu. 782-8587.
THE UNIVERSITY OF RHODE ISLAND (H, H-1, H-2, H-3, H-4, H-5)
The state land, sea and urban grant University was established in 1892. The main campus is located on 1200-acres in the village of Kingston. Known nationally for its teaching excellence, research and service to the state, the University is a valued resource for individuals, businesses, organizations and municipalities. The University sponsors a number of educational and cultural events throughout the year on its four campuses located in Kingston, Providence, Narragansett and West Greenwich. The URI W. Alton Jones Conference Center in West Greenwich also offers a wooded setting for business retreats, team building and conferences. OPEN: Year-round. 874-1000.
Farm House Road, University of Rhode Island Campus, Kingston. Colonial two-story farmhouse furnished in the period 1790-1840. Display of kitchen utensils, weaving looms, furniture and spinning wheels. OPEN: Tours by appointment. 874-8296.