ALIAS STAGE (H)
31 Elbow Street. "Off-Trinity" Theatre. Four productions each season. See newspapers for listing. 831-2919.
ANNMARY BROWN MEMORIAL (1905)
21 Brown Street. European and American paintings. OPEN: Mon-Fri, 1-5 p.m. 863-1994.
ARCADE BUILDING (1828, NHL) (H)
65 Weybosset Street. Sole survivor of many such temples of trade built in America during the Greek Revival period and America's oldest indoor shopping mall. Now, a lively marketplace with shops and eateries. OPEN: Mon-Sat, 10-6 p.m. Holiday season: Mon-Fri, 10-7 p.m.; Sat, 10-6 p.m. 598-1199.
BAYARD EWING BUILDING (c. 1848) (H)
231 South Main Street. A superior example of Rhode Island commercial architecture. A brick building with Greek-Revival details, it was used by the Fall River Ironworks, the Rumford Chemical Company and the Phillips Lead Company. It was renovated in 1977 by the Rhode Island School of Design for reuse by its Departments of Architecture, Interior Architecture and Landscape Architecture. Changing exhibitions and lectures are open to the public throughout the school year. OPEN: Mon-Fri, 9-5 p.m. 454-6280.
BENEFICENT CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH (UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST) (1810, NR) (H-1)
300 Weybosset Street. Nicknamed the Round Top, plans were brought from Dublin by its Irish-born pastor, Rev. James ''Paddy'' Wilson (1791-1839), making it one of the earliest classical buildings in America. OPEN: Mon-Fri, 9-3 p.m.; Sun, 9-12 p.m. Use Chestnut Street parking lot entrance. 331-9844.
BENEFIT STREET'S MILE OF HISTORY (H-1)
Benefit Street. The most impressive concentration of original Colonial homes in America. Beautifully restored houses, churches and museums overlook the city's historic waterfront. Walking or escorted bus tours conducted by the Providence Preservation Society. Walking or Bus tours for groups only, Mon-Fri, 9-5 p.m. 831-7440.
BRICK SCHOOL HOUSE. (1769, NR)
24 Meeting Street. One of the first public schools in Providence. Housed classes of Brown University during the American Revolution. Closed to the public. 831-7440.
BROWN UNIVERSITY (1764)
45 Prospect Street. A private, non-sectarian, co-educational liberal arts institution. It is the third oldest college in New England and the seventh oldest in the nation. Tour guide service available through The College Admission Office, Corliss-Brackett House (1875-1882), Prospect and Angell Streets, year-round. OPEN: Tours, Mon-Fri, 10, 11, 1, 3, & 4 (11 a.m. & 3 p.m. only during Christmas & Spring vacations) and Sat, 10, 11, & 12 noon, mid-Sep-mid-Nov only. 863-2378.
CATHEDRAL OF SAINT JOHN, Episcopal (1810, NR, NHL, NHS) (H-1)
271 North Main Street. One of four original Colonial parishes in state, established in 1722. Main building built in 1811, became a cathedral in 1929 and renovated and decorated in 1967. Box pews and communion silver from Queen Anne period. Adjoining graveyard is resting place of many who influenced history of church and state. Burial site of Gabriel Bernon who founded the original chapel. Library has artifacts from Diocesan history. OPEN: Mon-Fri, 9-4 p.m.; Sun, 8:30-11:30 a.m. 331-4622.
CATHEDRAL OF SAINTS PETER AND PAUL (1889, NR) (H, H-1)
Cathedral Square. On the site of the first Roman Catholic church in Providence (1838). Renovated, 1968-1972, neo-Gothic Church. Unique Cassavant organ, 6,330 pipes from 6 '' to 32'. European stained glass windows. OPEN: Mon-Sat, 7-5 p.m.; Sun, 8-8 p.m. 331-2434.
CITY HALL (1878, NR, NHL, NHS, #)
Kennedy Plaza. Designed in the manner of the Louvre and the Tuileries Palaces in Paris. Imposing interior space liberally ornamented. Tours by appointment. OPEN: Mon-Fri, 8:30-4:30 p.m.; Jul & Aug, 8:30-4 p.m. Closed holidays. 421-7740.
CULINARY ARCHIVES & MUSEUM AT JOHNSON & WALES UNIVERSITY
315 Harborside Blvd. One of the best kept secrets in New England, this is a one-of-a-kind museum containing over 200,000 items related to the field of Culinary Arts and Hospitality. The holdings were amassed by Chicago's Chef Louis Szathmary and donated to Johnson & Wales University. The collection includes rare U.S. Presidential culinary autographs; a gallery of chefs through the ages; tools of the trade from the third millennium, B.C.; Egyptian, Roman and Oriental spoons, dating back 1000 years; original artwork; hotel and restaurant silver; and periodicals as well as documents relating to culinary arts and entertainment. Guided tours. OPEN: Mon-Fri, 9-5 p.m.; Sat, 10-5 p.m., closed major holidays. 598-2805.
DAVID WINTON BELL GALLERY, BROWN UNIVERSITY (1971) (H-1)
64 College Street. Located in the List Art Center, an imposing modern structure designed by Philip Johnson, the Gallery presents exhibitions of historical and contemporary art in all media. OPEN: Sep 1-Jun 1, Mon-Fri, 11-4 p.m.; Sat-Sun, 1-4 p.m.; Closed holidays. 863-2932.
DR. SAMUEL GRIDLEY HOWE MEMORIAL (H)
(Flagpole), Brown University College Green, near George Street Gate. Dr. Howe was Surgeon-in-Chief to the fleet in the Greek War of Independence and founder of the Perkins Institute for the Blind. Husband of Julia Ward Howe, author of the Battle Hymn of the Republic. Graduated from Brown, 1821. Flagpole was American racing yacht's mast donated by C. Oliver Iselin. OPEN: Year-round.
Federal Street and adjacent blocks between Broadway and Atwells Avenue. The neighborhood spirit is alive and welcoming on Federal Hill where Providence takes on an old-world flair. Savor the nuances of Italian culture and cuisine while visiting authentic bakeries, shops, groceries and restaurants. Take part in traditions which make Providence a rich tapestry of urban life during special festivals and events. 831-7440.
FIRST UNITARIAN CHURCH (1816, NR) (H-5)
Benefit and Benevolent Streets. In its steeple hangs the largest and heaviest bell cast by Paul Revere & Son. Tours may be arranged with the sexton. Church Service: 10:30 a.m., Meeting House. 421-7970.
GENERAL AMBROSE E. BURNSIDE EQUESTRIAN STATUE
East end of Kennedy Plaza, diagonally opposite Civil War Memorial. Indiana-born, adopted son, governor and U.S. senator from Rhode Island. Led Rhode Island volunteers in defense of Washington. Once commanded Army of the Potomac. Popularized style of wearing sideburns.
GOVERNOR HENRY LIPPITT HOUSE MUSEUM (1865, NHL, HTRI) 1
99 Hope Street. Italianate mansion. Home of two Rhode Island governors. Superb interior; decorative details from the Victorian era. OPEN: Tue-Fri, 11-4 p.m.; Sat-Sun, 1-4 p.m. Jan-Mar by appt. only. Tours on the hour, last tour at 3 p.m. 453-0688.
GOVERNOR STEPHEN HOPKINS HOUSE (1707; enlarged 1743, NHL)
Benefit and Hopkins Streets. Home of Stephen Hopkins, ten-time governor of Rhode Island and signer of Declaration of Independence. Chancellor of Brown University. Early clapboard house with 18th century parterre garden. Visited twice by George Washington. OPEN: Apr-Dec, Wed & Sat, 1-4 p.m. and by appt. 751-7067.
HUDSON, FULLER, ST. PIERRE AND CHACE COLLECTIONS OF RHODE ISLAND ARCHAEOLOGICAL MATERIAL (H-1)
Rhode Island College, 600 Mt. Pleasant Avenue. In Gaige Hall (G115E). Collections include both surface finds and excavated material from a number of Rhode Island sites. OPEN: By appt. 274-9774, 456-9694.
JOHN BROWN HOUSE (1786, NHL) (H-1)
52 Power Street. Described by John Quincy Adams as "the most magnificent and elegant mansion that I have ever seen on this continent." Three-story Georgian mansion. The house celebrates many aspects of Rhode Island's heritage, including its distinctive tradition of fine craftsmanship, Providence's rise as a city and the state's commitment to preserve the fibers of its unique history. OPEN: Tue-Sat, 10-4:30 p.m.; Sun, 12-4:30 p.m.; Jan-Feb, weekdays by appt. only. Closed holidays. 331-8575.
JOHN CARTER BROWN LIBRARY (1904) (H-2)
Brown University, corner of George and Brown Streets. An independently funded and administered research library and center for advanced research in the humanities. Affiliated with Brown University, the library is one of the outstanding libraries of the world in the field of Americana. Among some 40,000 volumes are numerous books and pamphlets describing the growth of the European colonies in the New World and the impact of the discovery and exploration of the New World upon Europe. There is also an extensive collection of maps dating from 1477 to the mid-19th century. OPEN: Mon-Fri, 8:30-5 p.m.; Sat, 9-12 noon. 863-2725.
JOHN D. ROCKEFELLER, JR. LIBRARY (H)
Prospect and College Streets. The principal library of Brown University. Otherwise known as the Rock, it houses collections in the social sciences, humanities and fine arts. Exhibits in the lobby. 863-2167.
JOHN HAY LIBRARY (1910) (H, H-3)
Prospect and College Streets. The recently renovated John Hay Library is the location for most of the University's rare books, manuscripts, special collections and archives. Among the notable materials in the Hay are the Harris Collection of American Poetry and Plays, the Sheet Music Collection, the McLellan Lincoln Collection, the Anne S.K. Brown Military Collections, the Lownes History of Science Collection and the papers and works of H.P. Lovecraft. The University archives, dating from 1763, contain copies of the official publications of the University and the papers of many of its departments, offices and affiliated groups. OPEN: Mon-Fri, 9-5 p.m. 863-2146.
JOHNSON & WALES UNIVERSITY
8 Abbott Park Place. The University offers two and four-year degree programs in business, hospitality, food service and technology. Graduate programs leading to a Master of Science, Master of Business Administration, Masters of Arts in Teaching/Certification and Master of Education also are offered. University tours are available free of charge; please call 1-800-DIAL-JWU or 598-1000 for an appointment. Tours of the Johnson and Wales Culinary Archives & Museum also are available. Termed the "Smithsonian of the food service industry." The museum is located at the Trade Center at the Harborside Campus (off Allens Ave). Admission is $3 for adults, $2 for senior citizens, $1 for college students, $.50 for children 5-18 yrs, free for children under 5 yrs of age. OPEN: Guided tours are given Mon-Fri, 9-5 p.m.; Sat, 10-5 p.m. The museum is closed on major holidays. For more information call 598-2805.
MEETING HOUSE OF THE FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH IN AMERICA (1775, NHL)
75 North Main Street at Waterman Street. Oldest Baptist Church in America; congregation established in 1638 by Roger Williams. An artistic triumph, featuring a magnificent Waterford crystal chandelier dating from 1792, designed by Joseph Brown. Flawlessly preserved. OPEN: Year-round, Mon-Fri, 9:30-3:30 p.m., self-guided tours. Guided tours available May-Oct and Sundays, Sep-Jun, 12:15 p.m.; Jul-Aug, 10:45 a.m. Closed Saturdays and holidays. 454-3418.
MUSEUM OF ART, RHODE ISLAND SCHOOL OF DESIGN (1926, #) (H-1)
224 Benefit Street. The Museum of Art, Rhode Island School of Design (RISD) has classical art from ancient Greece and Rome, 18th-century European porcelains, Chinese and Indian works, Egyptian objects, 19th-century French art, modern Latin American works and masterpieces from the early Middle Ages to the present. Pendleton House, the earliest example of an American Wing anywhere, features the Pendleton Collection of 19th century American furniture and decorative arts. The Daphne Farago Wing is a center dedicated to the display and interpretation of contemporary art in all media. OPEN: Labor Day-Jun, Tue-Wed, Fri-Sat, 10:30-5 p.m.; Thu, 12-8 p.m.; Sun & holidays, 2-5 p.m.; Jun 30-Labor Day, Wed-Sat, 12-5 p.m. The museum is closed on Monday, Jan l, Jul 4, Thanksgiving and Christmas Day. 454-6500.
MUSEUM OF RHODE ISLAND HISTORY AT ALDRICH HOUSE (1822, NHL) (H)
110 Benevolent Street. 1822 Federal-style house adapted for museum use and headquarters of the Rhode Island Historical Society. The museum offers changing exhibits on Rhode Island history, architecture and decorative arts. OPEN: Tue-Fri, 9-5 p.m.; Closed Saturdays & Mondays. Open Sunday 1-4 p.m. for exhibitions only. 331-8575.
OLD STATE HOUSE (1762, NR, NHL)
150 Benefit Street, between North and South Court Streets. The Rhode Island General Assembly here renounced allegiance to King George III on May 4, 1776. Rhode Island Historical Preservation & Heritage Commission offices are located in the building. OPEN: Mon-Fri, 8:30-4:30 p.m. Closed holidays. 277-2678.
Congdon at Cushing Street. Site of Roger Williams Memorial, statue overlooking the city. Panoramic view of Providence skyline. OPEN: Dawn to Dusk.
PROVIDENCE ART CLUB. (1791) (H-1)
11 Thomas Street. Nation's second oldest art club, founded in 1880. Clubhouse and galleries in two Colonial buildings. Features changing exhibits monthly. OPEN: Mon-Fri, 10-4 p.m.; Sat, 12-3 p.m.; Sun, 3-5 p.m. Dodge House, Mon-Fri, 11-4 p.m.; Sat, 12-3 p.m.; Sun, 3-5 p.m. 331-1114.
PROVIDENCE ATHENAEUM (1838)
251 Benefit Street. One of America's oldest subscription libraries (l753) and cultural centers. Housed in a granite Greek Revival structure designed by William Strickland of Philadelphia, with additions by Norman Isham and Warren Platner. Stephen Hopkins, Moses Brown and Silas Downer (who served as a librarian) were all active in the library in the 18th century. Legend has it that in the 19th century, Edgar Allan Poe and Sarah Whitman carried on their courtship in the stacks. Changing exhibitions of rare books are on display in the Charles and Deborah Philbrick Rare Book Library. OPEN: Mon-Fri, 8:30-5:30 p.m.; Sat, 9:30-5:30 p.m. (except in summer, when library is closed Sat); Oct-May, Sun 1-5 p.m. 421-6970.
PROVIDENCE CIVIC CENTE. (1972) (H)
One La Salle Square. Arena is the site of numerous sporting and entertainment events with a total capacity of 14,500. OPEN: Mon-Fri, 9-5 p.m. plus hours of events. 331-0700.
PROVIDENCE COLLEGE (H-1, H-4)
River Avenue and Eaton Street. Founded in 1917 by the Dominican Fathers. The only Dominican and Friars college in the United States. Primarily a four-year college of the liberal arts and sciences. OPEN: Year-round, Mon-Fri, 8:30-4:30 p.m. Tours available by appt. 865-1000.
PROVIDENCE PERFORMING ARTS CENTER (NHL, #) (H-1)
220 Weybosset Street. Historic landmark theater built in 1928 as a Loew's Movie Palace. Rhode Island's home for Broadway, children's and other popular entertainment. Free cedar organ concerts Spring and Fall. Box Office Hours: Mon-Fri, 10-6 p.m.; Sat, 12 noon-5 p.m. 421-ARTS.
PROVIDENCE PRESERVATION SOCIETY (1772, NR)
21 Meeting Street. OPEN: Mon-Fri, 9-5 p.m. Closed weekends and holidays. 831-7440.
PROVIDENCE PUBLIC LIBRARY (1900, NR, #) (H, H-3, H-5)
225 Washington Street. Second largest public library in New England. Aids Information Center, Literacy Office and public computer labs. Collections on whaling, printing, architecture, Civil War and slavery, ship models, early children's books and Irish culture. Foundation Center for Rhode Island. U.S. and R.I. Documents Depository collection. Database searching via national bibliographic databases such as DIALOG. On-line computer book catalog available. Patent Depository Library with computer access to U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. Public FAX. OPEN: Mon-Thu, 9-8 p.m.; Fri-Sat, 9-5:30 p.m.; Open Sun, Oct-May, 1-5 p.m. 455-8000.
RHODE ISLAND BLACK HERITAGE SOCIETY (H)
46 Aborn Street. Periodic display of Black history and culture. Archives and Gallery. OPEN: Mon-Fri, 9-4:30 p.m. 751-3490.
RHODE ISLAND COLLEGE
600 Mount Pleasant Avenue. Established in 1854 as the Rhode Island Normal School, RIC is the state's oldest public institution of higher learning. Serving nearly 10,000 students, it is a comprehensive college offering a variety of liberal arts and professional programs for both undergraduate and graduate students. OPEN: Tours of the entire campus are available throughout the year. 456-8090.
RHODE ISLAND HERITAGE HALL OF FAME (H-1)
Located at the Rhode Island Historical Society, 110 Benevolent Street. Portraits and photographs of famous or adopted Rhode Islanders (stage and screen star Nelson Eddy; Broadway playwright, producer, composer George M. Cohan; baseball great Napoleon Lajoie, Good Morning America host, David Hartman, etc.) OPEN: Tue-Fri, 9-5 p.m.; Sun, 1-4 p.m. 277-2669.
RHODE ISLAND HISTORICAL SOCIETY LIBRARY (H-1)
121 Hope Street. Books, pamphlets, newspapers, manuscripts and graphic materials relating to Rhode Island history and genealogy. OPEN: Sep-May; Wed-Sat, 9-5:45 p.m.; Jun-Aug, Tue, 12 noon-8 p.m., Wed-Fri, 9-5:45 p.m. Closed holidays and Saturdays before Monday holidays. 331-8575.
RHODE ISLAND SCHOOL OF DESIGN (H-1)
2 College Street. Founded in 1877. One of the nation's foremost art and design schools. Admissions office and administrative offices and gallery at Woods-Gerry Mansion, 62 Prospect Street OPEN: Call main phone number for relevant information on buildings and hours. 454-6100.
RHODE ISLAND SCHOOL OF DESIGN LIBRARY (1936)
Two College Street Northwest corner of intersection of College and Benefit Streets. The library is a major resource for art, architecture and design information in Rhode Island. The library is open to visitors engaged in pertinent research by application to the library director or by referral from another library. OPEN: Mon-Thu, 8:30 a.m.-11 p.m.; Fri, 8:30-8 p.m.; Sat, 10-6 p.m.; Sun, 2-10 p.m. during academic year. Summer and holiday hours differ. Closed in August. 454-6365.
RHODE ISLAND SCHOOL OF DESIGN'S WOODS-GERRY GALLERY (1848, NR) (H-1)
62 Prospect Street, at Meeting Street. The Gallery, which is open to the public, features student and faculty work in ever-changing exhibitions. It is located in the Woods-Gerry Mansion, a three-story house designed by Richard Upjohn in 1860. The house is an important example of the city's 19th century residential architecture and houses RISD's administrative and admission offices. OPEN: Oct 5-Feb 20, Mon-Sat, 10-4 p.m.; Sun, 2-5 p.m.; Feb 21-Jun 1, Mon-Tue, Fri-Sat, 10-4 p.m., Sun 2-5 p.m. 454-6141.
ROGER WILLIAMS LANDING PLACE MONUMENT (NR)
Gano Street, between Power and Williams Streets. Where Williams first stepped ashore in 1636, in exile from the Massachusetts Bay Colony. He was met with the Indian greeting, "What Cheer Netop." (Welcome, friend.) OPEN: Dawn to Dusk.
ROGER WILLIAMS NATIONAL MEMORIA. (NR) (H)
282 North Main Street, corner of North Main and Smith Street. Rhode Island's only National Park interprets the life and times of Roger Williams, the founder of the first government in the world with complete religious freedom for all. Visitor Center, exhibits and slides. Original Providence settlement (l636) was here. OPEN: Daily, 9-4:30 p.m. year-round. Closed Christmas, New Year's and Thanksgiving. 521-7266.
ROGER WILLIAMS PARK AND ZOO (1878, NR, #) (H, H-1)
1000 Elmwood Avenue. Nestled within 430-acres of the beautifully landscaped grounds of Roger Williams Park is the award-winning Roger Williams Park Zoo with over 150 different species and over 900 animals. The Zoo houses polar bears and penguins, a "Plains of Africa" area with elephants, giraffes, cheetah and zebra, a new Tropical rainforest with canopy sky-walk, a Madagascar exhibit, and an Australasia area with an open-air aviary and clouded leopard exhibit. The Park also features Betsey Williams Cottage, the Charles H. Smith Greenhouses and Casino, a Museum of Natural History and a Planetarium. Carousel Village features a vintage carousel, pony rides, a themed miniature golf course and kiddie go-boats. The Tennis Center has Rhode Island's only clay courts available for public use. The boathouse has paddle-boats and mini-speed boats. OPEN: Park is open daily, 7- 9 p.m.; Zoo is open every day except Christmas. Nov-Mar, 9-4 p.m.; Apr-Oct, Mon-Fri 9-5 p.m. & weekends and holidays until 6 p.m.; Carousel Village is open daily Spring-Fall; Museum is open daily 10-5 p.m. except for Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day; Greenhouses are open daily 11-4 p.m.; Tennis courts are open Spring-Fall, Mon-Fri, 9-dusk, weekends, 7-dusk. Park, 785-9450, Zoo, 785-3510.
SHAKESPEARE'S HEAD (1772, NR)
21 Meeting Street. Providence Preservation Society and Junior League of Rhode Island, Inc. Headquarters. Erected by John Carter, first postmaster and publisher of the first newspaper in Providence. Colonial garden and house are maintained and owned by Shakespeare's Head Association. Cassette walking tours of College Hill and historic downtown Providence. Self-guided walking tour booklets. OPEN: Mon-Fri, 9-5 p.m. Closed weekends and holidays. 831-7440.
STATE CAPITOL (1900, NR) (H)
82 Smith Street. Designed by McKim, Mead and White in 1891-92 of white Georgian marble. Considered to have fourth largest self-supported dome in the world. Important architectural landmark. Building contains original Rhode Island Charter of 1663 and historic portrait of George Washington by Rhode Island native, Gilbert Stuart. Many Rhode Island treasures and battle flags on display. OPEN: Mon-Fri, 8:30-4:30 p.m., except holidays. Self-guided tours during business hours; guided tours by appt. only. 277-2357.
TRINITY REPERTORY COMPANY (Lederer Theater, 1917, NR) (H-1)
201 Washington Street. Internationally renowned, Tony Award-winning, resident theater company performs classic, contemporary and new works year-round in two theaters. Oskar Eustis, Artistic Director. OPEN: Performances: Wed-Sat, 8 p.m. & Sun matinees at 2 p.m. Selected Wed & Sat matinees at 2 p.m.; Tue & Sun, 7 p.m. Closed Thanksgiving and Christmas. 351-4242.
UNIVERSITY HALL (1771, NHL)
Brown University College Green. Administrative headquarters of Brown University, the nation's seventh oldest college (1764). Used as barracks by American and French troops during the Revolution. OPEN: Mon-Fri, 8:30-5 p.m. 863-2453.
TERANS MEMORIAL AUDITORIUM (NR) (H)
Brownell Street. Veterans Memorial Auditorium (VMA) home of the RI Philharmonic, is a restored, 2100-seat concert hall listed on the National Register. This landmark, featuring four lobbies and fine acoustics, is air-conditioned and handicapped accessible. Events include a wide-range of established and emerging artists in music, dance and theater. In downtown Providence is easily accessed from Rt. 95; near the Amtrak station, Convention Center, Waterplace Park and other area attractions. Ample free parking is available. 277-6895.
WATERPLACE PARK AND RIVER WALK
Memorial Boulevard. Providence's new four-acre urban park surrounds a tidal basin and includes an amphitheater. The park is edged by beautifully landscaped riverwalks and a series of venician-style footbridges. 785-9450