CASEY FARM (c. 1750, NR, #, SPNEA)
Route 1-A, Saunderstown. The 300-acre working farm, overlooking Narragansett Bay, is a rare example of one of the original plantation farms of the Colonial era. The farmhouse, (c. 1750), surrounded by fields, barns, high stone walls and a family cemetery, was a site of Revolutionary activity. In cultivation since the time of the Narragansett Indians, the farm today is managed as community supported farm and is RI Certified Organic. House museum, hiking trails, organic seedlings and produce. OPEN: Jun 1-Oct 15, Tue, Thu & Sat, 1-5 p.m. 295-1030.
GILBERT STUART BIRTHPLACE (1751, NHL, #)
815 Gilbert Stuart Road. Stuart, born here in 1755, was the foremost portraitist of George Washington. An operating 18th century snuff mill, the first in America, with water wheel. Colonial furniture and tools. Apr 1-Oct 31, daily, except Tue & Wed, 11-4:30 p.m. 294-3001.
LAFAYETTE TROUT HATCHERY (H-1)
Route 4, to Route 2. 465 Hatchery Road. Fish raised to stock Rhode Island streams and ponds. OPEN: Daily, 8-3:30 p.m. 294-4662.
OLD NARRAGANSETT CHURCH (1707, NR)
Church Lane, off Main Street, Wickford. One of the oldest Episcopal Churches in America; one of four original Colonial parishes in the state. Features Queen Anne communion silver, box pews, wine glass pulpit and slave gallery. Oldest church organ (1680) in North America. Gilbert Stuart, noted Colonial portraitist, was baptized here. OPEN: Jul-Aug, Fri-Sun, 11-4 p.m. 294-4357.
QUONSET AVIATION MUSEUM
488 Ecclecston Avenue. Located in the only brick hangar on the East coast, this working museum hosts a growing collection of aircrafts and New England Aviation memorabilia. Aircraft such as a Russian MIG-17, AN-2, TBM Avenger, A-4 Skyhawk, A6 Intruder and SH3 Seaking are on display and under restoration. Rhode Island aviation exhibits focus on both commercial and military history. OPEN: Sat-Sun, 10-4 p.m. Groups by appt. 294-9540.
SMITH'S CASTLE - A RHODE ISLAND PLANTATION (1678, NR) (H-1)
55 Richard Smith Drive, off Route 1, one mile north of Wickford. One of America's oldest plantation houses (1678) located near the site of a trading center established by Roger Williams about 1636. Formerly 27 square miles of coastal lands, it was one of the largest of the RI plantations. Recently declared a National Landmark site for its significant archeological discoveries, the original house has also undergone a major structural restoration as of 1995. Visitors welcome. Please call for further information. OPEN: May, Fri-Sun; Jun-Aug, Thu-Mon; Sep, Fri-Sun.; Off-season by appointment. 294-3521.
WICKFORD ART ASSOCIATION GALLERY (#) (H)
36 Beach Street. Gallery and Art Center overlook West Passage of Narragansett Bay. Classes, lectures, demonstrations and bi-monthly exhibits. Numerous art programs. Association meetings (open to the public) second Tuesday of every month at 7:30 p.m. No meetings in July and August. Business meeting and artistic demonstration. OPEN: Tue-Sat, 11-3 p.m.; Sun, 12 noon-3 p.m. Closed Monday except for classes. 294-6840.
Scenic Route 1A. Established in 1641, Wickford is a quaint, historic seaside village. Come and discover tree lined streets, water views, handsomely preserved 17th and 18th century homes and shops that feature arts and crafts, gourmet foods, toys, speciality clothing, jewelry, garden shops, handcrafted furniture and the unusual in home accessories. 295-5566.