Middletown

BUTTERFLY ZOO AT THE NEWPORT BUTTERFLY FARM
594 Aquidneck Ave. A 20' by 80' screened in greenhouse exhibit is home to butterflies from all over the world where they fly, nectar and lay eggs. Visitors can mingle with the butterflies. Photography is encouraged. Guided tours. OPEN: May-Sep, 11-4 p.m. (Sunny days are best) 849-9519.

GREEN END FORT
(1777) North side of Vernon Avenue exit. Built by British in 1777 as the eastern terminus of their Newport defense lines.

NORMAN BIRD SANCTUARY, MUSEUM & BARN OWL SHOP. (H-1)
583 Third Beach Road. Seven miles of walking trails. Several wildlife habitats represented on 450-acre refuge. Also an educational facility with a trailside museum. OPEN: Memorial Day-Labor Day, daily, 9-5 p.m. Closed Mon remainder of year. Spring & Fall free Sunday morning bird walks, 8 a.m. 846-2577.

PRESCOTT FARM. (H)
2009 West Main Road. The Newport Restoration Foundation has assembled and restored these Colonial farm buildings, featuring operating windmill (c. 1812), British General Prescott's Guard House and a country store. OPEN: Apr-Nov, Mon-Fri, 10-4 p.m. 847-6230, 849-7300, 849-7301.

PURGATORY CHASM
Purgatory Road. A narrow cleft in the rock ledges on the east side of Easton Point, formed by the eroding action of the sea over eons. Scenic overlook. OPEN: Dawn to Dusk. 847-7565.

ST. GEORGE'S SCHOOL CHAPEL
(H-2, H-3) 372 Purgatory Road. In the English Gothic-style. OPEN: During school term, Mon-Fri, 9-5 p.m. Phone in advance. 847-7565.

UNITED CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH
(Present Church, 1975) (H, H-4) Valley Road and Green End Avenue. Church of the Patriots. Congregation gathered 1695. OPEN: Tue-Fri, 8:30-3 p.m. 849-5444.

VINLAND WINE CELLARS
(H) 909 East Main Road, Eastgate Center. Operating modern winery. Wine tastings and tours. Retail shop. Custom Labeling. OPEN: Mon-Sat, 10-5 p.m.; Sun, 12 noon-5 p.m. 848-5161, 800-345-1559.

WHITEHALL MUSEUM HOUSE
(1729, NR) 311 Berkeley Avenue. Built by Dean George Berkeley, philosopher, educator and Anglican Bishop. Authentically furnished. Maintained by the National Society of the Colonial Dames in Rhode Island. OPEN: Jul & Aug, daily except Mondays, 10-5 p.m. and by appt. the rest of the year. 847-7951, 846-3116.