DIAMOND HILL PARK (H)
Route 114. The park has picnic areas, playing fields and a hiking trail. Permits available for picnics/events. OPEN: Dawn to Dusk. 728-2400 ext. 28.
DIAMOND HILL VINEYARDS.
3145 Diamond Hill Road. Set on 33-acres. The vineyard offers group picnics for 15-150 people. Vineyard tours, including wine and cheese, for bus tours. Gift shop in 200 year-old house. Unusual plantings on grounds. Free tastings daily, event schedule sent on request. OPEN: Year-round, weekdays, 12-5 p.m.; Sat-Sun, 12-5 p.m. Closed Tuesdays. 333-2751, 800-752-2505.
THE MONASTERY (H)
Route 114. Site of a former Cistercian Monastery, now owned and maintained by the Town of Cumberland. Jogging and walking trails. Horseback riding allowed. Although fire destroyed many buildings built by the Trappist Monks in the 1950's, portions of the original monastery buildings are still intact. OPEN: Dawn to Dusk. 728-2400.
NINE MEN'S MISERY
Monument is on the grounds of the Edward J. Hayden library, Diamond Hill Road. First monument to veterans, commemorates "Pierce's Fight," when on March 26, 1676, a party of nine colonial militiamen, under the command of Captain Michael Pierce were pursued by marauding Indians and slaughtered. 333-6293.
VALLEY FALLS HERITAGE PARK (H)
Route 114/Broad Street. Scenic park-educational site located along the banks of the Blackstone River as part of the Blackstone River Valley National Heritage Corridor. OPEN: Dawn to Dusk. 728-2400.
WILLIAM BLACKSTONE MONUMENT
Broad Street. Large granite marker, marking the approximate site of the grave of the Reverend William Blackstone, a contemplative Anglican clergyman, who in 1635, became the first European to settle in what is now Rhode Island. 334-7773.