BLOCK ISLAND HISTORICAL SOCIETY
(1872) Old Town Road. Permanent and special exhibits on the history of Block Island. OPEN: Jun-Sep, 10-4 p.m. daily and by appt. 466-2481.
THE LOST MANISSEAN INDIAN EXHIBIT
West Side Road. Exhibit features arrowheads, ax heads, knives and ancient mortar and pestle, dating back 450 years. Painted hieroglyphics explain the life of the ancient Indian. Life size statue of an extinct species, the North American Indian dog. OPEN: Memorial Day-Labor Day, daily, 9-5 p.m. 466-5060.
MOHEGAN BLUFFS AND SOUTHEAST LIGHTHOUSE
(1875) Mohegan Trail. The bluffs rise abruptly to a height of about 200 feet above the sea and stretch for nearly three miles along the southern shore, offering spectacular scenery. The lighthouse, visited by President Grant, has one of the most powerful electric beacons on the eastern United States coast. Nature programs at the bluffs. The lighthouse was moved from the edge of the Bluffs in 1993. OPEN: Jul-Sep, 10-4 p.m. 466-5009.
(1867) Corn Neck Road. The fourth lighthouse to attempt the shifting sands on Block Island's Sandy Point. The light was restored to the tower in 1991 and the building was opened in 1993 as an interpretive center. The lighthouse lies a half mile north of the parking lot and visitors will walk the trails of a National Wildlife Sanctuary to visit the light. OPEN: Daily, 10-4 p.m. 466-3200.
A deep glacial depression, from the edge of which an unusual vista of the ocean may be enjoyed. Only U.S. habitat of the Block Island meadow vole; 47-acre reforestation project.
On the shore of Cow Cove, a monument lists the names of Block Island's first settlers at their landing place, April, l661.